So, my dream of staying home after Jacob was born only lasted 9 weeks. It was wonderful while it lasted. I actually went back to work on March 4th, thinking I'd give myself a day to kind of settle in. Everyone knows the last day and first day are pretty much useless for getting anything done. It was great to see all of my co-workers. Most I count as friends, and I had missed them. The work, however. Bah. It didn't take any time at all for people to hear that I was back at work. And by Monday afternoon, it was like I had never left. Except I had a lot more work to do (2 months worth, to be exact).
I did survive the week. Which was actually a little surprising, since Ernest was working 12 hour days. I'm not complaining though - the overtime pay will be very welcome. In the coming months we have a bathroom remodel to complete, repairs in the other bathroom, a trip to Colorado for Ernest's Dad's wedding, besides expenses/daycare for a second kid. Anyway, since he's working 12 hour days, I've been having to get myself and the two kids ready to go in the morning, then pick them up after work, take care of dinner, housework, and bedtimes. Ernest gets home about the time that Ally is ready for bed.

I've had to trick her a little bit. Ideally, her bedtime (as in the time she should be falling asleep) is 8:30. Problem is she fights it so hard and has been known to stay up after 10. I've started getting her ready for bed at 7:00 - potty, brushing teeth and hair, massaging legs, and pajamas. Then she gets a sticker if she potties and one for doing well with brushing her teeth since she doesn't like to let me do it for very long. Next she gets to watch a Dora the Explorer on TV. Then about 7:45 it's time for a bedtime story, prayer, and then I'll sing to her for a few minutes after she gets into bed. It's still a struggle, but she has been getting to sleep before 9, and more often closer to 8:30. It makes for a long evening for us though, and it's hard to get anything done.
I'm back to feeling like I can't keep up with everything. I really need to get over this. It's gotten bad enough that I can't even sit in the evening and cuddle with Ernest in front of the TV. I'm fine for a few minutes and then I start think of all of the things I should be doing (including going to bed because I know Jacob will be getting up in 3 hours to eat). I get antsy and stop enjoying myself. It's really a pain. I am trying though. We've broken down the housework tasks into items to do each day and it is posted in the kitchen. For example, Monday is the day to gather up all of the trash and take it out (Trash Pickup is Tuesday), and clean the living room. Tuesday is cleaning the kitchen and the hall bathroom. We pick up stuff most every day, but I'm hoping that a schedule kind of like this will help stay on top a bit more.
All in all it's been a week that I've felt fairly proud of. I made it to work every day at a decent time. I took Jacob to his 2 month checkup. I prepared my lesson for Relief Society. I made dinner every night (except one night I skipped dinner and just had strawberry shortcake). I've mostly kept up with my housekeeping list. I made it grocery shopping. I've had Ally and Jacob in bed almost every night by 9:00 (with Ernest's help). I've managed to give both kids baths when I was here alone - normally it's a team effort. I still have a list of things to work on as I have time and energy, but I feel it was a decent start to our "normal" schedule.

Jacob has helped with this too. He was waking up every 3-4 hours wanting to eat, but all of a sudden in the middle of the week he's started skipping his midnight feeding. It doesn't seem to matter what time he gets his last feeding, as long as it's between 7:30 and 11. If it's anytime in that area, he wakes up right around 3 wanting to eat. And he's been a champ about going right back to sleep. So I can be back in bed by 4 at the latest. Funny thing is, he then goes back to his 3-4 hour schedule and gets up between 6 and 6:30 wanting to eat again. That stretch is certainly helping though. I am trying to be patient though, until he manages to go all night. It's easier with him than it was with Ally, and I think part of is that I KNOW it will get better. It doesn't hurt that he is a pretty good baby anyway and cute as a button.
You are doing amazing. I'm still nervous about the whole managing 2 kids at the same time plus doing everything else too. You give me hope that it can be done. :)
ReplyDeleteI'm impressed at all you are able to do so early on and all by yourself!!! After I had my baby I went into survival mode only doing the bare minimum to keep everyone alive and still (a year later) feel like I am mostly just surviving. :) And you are right, your litter mister certainly is cute as a button!
ReplyDelete