I don't know whether to bless or curse the person who came up with the Snooze Button on alarm clocks. Probably curse. If I think about it, sll it really does is make me think I'm getting more sleep when in reality I'm just getting crankier because I am continually getting woken up, instead of just being awakened once. It's also got made me start a bad habit. I actually set my alarm earlier so that I can plan on hitting snooze a certain number of times before I really HAVE to get up. Silly when I think about it.
I didn't start using an alarm clock until I began going to seminary when I was 14. Before that, my parents always got me up. My Dad was very much an early riser. And a creature of habit. First thing every morning, he'd take a trip to the bathroom, and he had to walk by my bedroom. He'd pop his head in and wake me up. I'd dutifully reply that I was awake and going to get up. As soon as I heard the bathroom door close, however, I cuddled back down into bed and would continue dreaming. I have no idea how long he would be in the bathroom, but as soon as I heard the toilet flush I would wake up and begin to actually get up. You didn't want to be caught asleep after Dad had already been by to wake you up.
So, I was remembering all of this at 7:30 this morning when I was silently begging Jacob to go back to sleep for just a little bit longer. It hadn't really been long enough for him to be hungry yet (so I though - he disagreed). Ernest got him out of the bassinet and brought him to me in bed, with his dodo. I snuggled him next to me and convinced him that he really did want his pacifier. As soon as he started to suck on it, his eyes rolled back in his head and he settled down. I breathed a sigh of relief and snuggled back into my blankets and cuddled my baby. Then 5 or so minutes later the pacifier fell out and he eventually realized it and began to fuss again. "Pop" back in goes the dodo, and back to sleep goes Jacob. And mumma. We did this for maybe half an hour before I realized that I was treating the situation like a snooze alarm (which I found vaguely funny). And that it was futile.
So, I got up, fed the boy, played with him a little bit, and now he is asleep on the couch again. I'll get started on my list of things to do today (clean the living room, gather up the trash for Ernest to take out later, pick items for chocolate and maybe cheese fondue tonight, exercise, and try to get to the store). I will probably see if I can throw a nap in there too.
Anyway. The moral of the story - I will have to rethink using the snooze button. I think it just makes me crankier than I need to be when I get up. It will be a few months before I need to use it though, I think. In the mean time I have my little baby boy to fill in that gap.
Oh, and Happy Valentine's Day!
I have really been struggling with my snooze button recently too. I think you are right about being crankier because you got woken up several times instead of just once. Enjoy your baby alarm clock for now. :) Cute picture of Ally and Jacob.
ReplyDelete