Thursday, October 27, 2011

5 years

Wow.  Where has the time gone?  5 years ago on October 21 Ernest and I were married.  It scares me a little bit how quickly it has gone by.  We were married, then sealed, then moved from Colorado to Kansas.  I completed my Bachelor's degree, we both started new jobs.  We bought a house and welcomed two kids into our family.  That's quite a bit to fit into five years!  Anyway, in honor of our 5 year anniversary, this is dedicated to Ernest, and the things I love most about him.

He likes to make me laugh.  I like to make him laugh.  Loves to play and tease.  Likes to do things with me.  Will watch Project Runway with me.  Will get up with the kids early on Saturday so I can sleep in a little bit.  Supports me in my callings.  Honors his Priesthood.  Holds my hand.  Likes to cuddle.  Will get up with me in the middle of the night to help with the kids when I ask him to.  Likes traditions in our family.  Treats my family as his own.  Will do anything for anyone.  Works hard.  Enjoys reading.  Wants to know more of the Gospel.  Encourages me in my goals.  Loves me unconditionally.  Supports me when I'm having a bad time.  Is involved with the kids.  Is financially knowledgable.  Supports me in my education and career.  Will go "adventure driving" with me.  And ask for directions if needed.  Makes me feel good and want to be a better person.  So unselfish.  Rarely loses his temper.  Forgiving.  In short, he is my "favorite." 

To celebrate our anniversary, we decided to go a little more extreme this year.  My sister volunteered to come stay with the kids at our house overnight.  Ernest made us reservations for Skies Restaurant for dinner.  Skies is at the top of the Hyatt by Crown Center, and - get this - it spins.  Quite novel for Kansas City, I thought.  We got actual dressed up - the first time we had ever done that as a couple. Ally kept asking me to put on my dress and shoes and spin for her.  I must admit, I did spin a few times for her. 

So Skies was fun - could go nice causual or more formal.  It was the nicest restaurant I've been to though.  Generally we are go places more like an Applebee's or maybe Outback if we feel like splurging.  The food was great, and the view was beautiful.  We had 6:00 reservations, which was a little early, but because of the time of year it was perfect timing for seeing the sunset over the city.  At first it was a little weird not having the kids with us and talking about things not directly involving the kids.  Clue #1 to me that we need to be more serious about "date night" for us.  There is a switch in mindset from "parents" to "couple" and it was quite refreshing to go between the two. 

After dinner, we went to our hotel room.  I got a great deal on travelocity (super secret hotel!) and we ended up with reservations at the Westin Crown Center.  Fabulous hotel.  We changed and then walked around Crown Center for a bit.  The next morning (got to sleep ALL NIGHT and even sleep in a little bit!) we went back to Crown Center and did a little shopping and got lunch.  We were going to go to the Nelson Atkins (Ernest still hasn't been even though it is one of my favorite places in the city) but decided we were ready to go home and see our kiddos.

The fun didn't stop there!  Our friend Susan had arranged for a group to meet and go on a hayride and have a bonfire at a local county park.  We had perfect weather for it.  I really enjoyed getting to just relax with my family and some friends.  Fall in Kansas is so pretty, especially when we get a taste of Indian Summer like we've had lately.  We made s'mores around the campfire and then headed home. 

I'm so grateful we've had 5 wonderful years of marriage together, and I am looking forward to many more. As I've said before, he is absolutely perfect for me - my soulmate. I love my family!



 The view from our table shortly after we arrived

 The view from our table looking downtown
 Our fabulous (standard) hotel room on the 7th floor.  Big, wall to wall windows, huge bathroom, king (super comfy) bed, flat screen.  We felt so spoiled!
 Night time view from our hotel room, looking north towards downtown.
 Daytime View out of our hotel window, looking at the Hyatt.  Skies is on top of the building on the right.
 Our Daytime view out of our hotel window/balcony - Union Station!
 Our artwork on the placemats at the Crayola Cafe
 At the Crayola Store and Cafe
 Hayride!


Ally with a marshmallow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...