Thursday, May 29, 2008

Gotta Love Family

Memorial Weekend Ernest and I went to visit my family down south. We visited with Dad & Mom for a couple of days and then headed over to see Trebor's family. Nicholann is talking non-stop now, and will tell you story after story. She is also very cuddly. Ernest and I slept on an air mattress in their living room. Nicholann wanted to come sleep with us, and when she couldn't do that, she came and jumped into bed with me each morning we were there. She is definitely Trebor's daughter! She's got a stubborn streak a mile wide. We really had a lot of fun visiting and playing with her. Aleana is almost a year old (June!) and cute as a bug's ear. She looks like both Trebor and Liz, but every time I see her I see my Mom. Kind of funny, since I wasn't around when my Mom was a baby and I haven't seen many pictures. But my impression is that Aleana looks just like her. Aleana isn't talking yet, but she does like to interact with people. My favorite game to play with her was just to get her to smile. She has the same expression on her face most of the time, so it is a challenge to get her to crack a smile.

Anyway. While we were visiting we went fishing. I caught 3 branches, a whole tree, and Ernest. I'm still not sure how I caught him, but luckily it was just his shirt. Liz caught several bluegill which were promptly used as bait for bigger fish (unsuccessfully). Ernest was the only other person to catch something. He also caught a bluegill. The picture has NOT been photoshopped (though Ernest really wishes I did something to it).

Also saw a new form of entertainment while we were there. The spokes attached to this tree spin freely, and each spoke has an ear of corn on it. The idea is that a squirrel comes to try and get the corn. He climbs up the spoke, balances precariously for a moment, and then his added weight makes the spoke cycle down to the bottom, and he falls off. Unfortunately we didn't get to see this thing in action, but Trebor swears that the squirrels fall for it. I just think it is hilarious. Trebor also showed Ernest how easy (yeah, right) it is to split wood with a single blow. Ernest never did quite get the hang of it, while Trebor made it look like the axe was going through melted butter. I've got a video of it on Facebook if you want to see (both Ernest AND Trebor).

We also went to Mammoth Spring in Arkansas (beautiful!) and then on down to Hardy, AR to go through their historic downtown. We got some locally made fudge - very good but still not as good as Nauvoo Fudge - and visited some antique stores.

It was so much fun to see everyone again and relax a bit. Oh, to top off our visit, on our last night, there was a spectacular rainbow. It was a double rainbow, and I've never seen one so bright. It was stunning.

Go look at my other pictures and videos on my facebook site!

1 comment:

  1. Great blog! I love all the pictures and details. I hope I will have more time this summer to do better on my blog. ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...