Have you ever watched the hands of a clock move inexorably forward? We have a clock on the bathroom wall, theoretically to help us not be late. I was getting out of the shower the other day and noticed the clock up there. I must have zoned out, because before I knew it the seconds hand had ticked away almost a minute. That was a minute I'd never get back. A few seconds that I was standing alone in my bathroom. I could hear Allyson and Ernest playing in the living room. A minute I wasn't with them. A minute I wasn't doing anything but being lost in my own thoughts. It made me think again about how easy it is to waste time. And how easy it is to get caught up - not necessarily wasting time, but maybe not spending our time on things that matter the most.
I am so grateful that my family is sealed together for time and eternity. Eternity is a long time. But I don't want to miss out on the moments that make up eternity. My baby girl is only 1 once. I'm only pregnant with Jacob once. I'll only get to feel him move inside of me and know that he is well and healthy at the moment, once. Eternity is infathomable, but it is made up of moments. And those moments are fleeting.
All of these things went through my mind as I watched the seconds hand on a clock tick by 60 seconds, marking off one of those moments. I got out of the shower, went and gave my little girl a little snuggle and kiss, and my husband a bigger snuggle and kiss.

No comments:
Post a Comment